Saturday, October 20, 2007

Beware! The Blog

To blog or not to blog, that's the question I’ve recently posed to myself. Why? Why not? And probably because I’ve reached a nadir of self-boredom and creative neglect.

I’ve had this web site (http://www.ajwand.com/) for a couple-or-so years now, and pretty much have nothing to show for it other than a bunch of hard-fought writing battles. None of the easy lucre produced by a steady flow of traffic and largely irrelevant online ads. No reader legions anxiously waiting for me to post my next entry (though not that I’ve tried...).

Sure, I’ve told a few people about it -- never with pride and always with the warning that it is lame and ugly -- but I have not promoted it, dressed it up, or tried to make money with it. This might seem incongruous with the high-marginal-value hours I’ve logged -- forgoing sleep, sloth and excessive inebriation, and other good-for-you stuff -- to write all that crap. For whatever it's worth...

So what /is/ it worth? I have posed myself that question from time to time, and while the answer is most likely "very little", the potential potential is obvious enough. I work for a company that feeds its shareholders on the vig of online advertising technology. There are people out there making a zillion bucks a week courtesy of "Ads by Google" -- for the love Christ, I should be able to figure out some way to ride the system to wealth (if not taste).

No comments: